Saturday, March 7, 2009

Helmets

One of the many differences between home and here is, as I have mentioned already, the vast quantity of motorbikes in use in Indonesia. Everybody uses them for everything. Today five of us experienced day one of our two day motorbike training so I spent much of the day riding a round an empty carpark on a 160cc Honda Mega Pro. Great fun...
As I arrived in the internet cafe this evening, I was reminded of yet another difference : at home, people generally remove their motorbike helmet when they get off the bike. Not here - there were 6 young guys playing online games in the cafe this evening - four of them had their motorbike helmets strapped firmly in place as they killed their online opponents. While we were in Kupang, I saw two guys out fishing in a small boat, both still wearing their helmets. Another local was digging for something on the beach (we never found out what) and was also wearing his helmet.

Weird.....

1 comment:

  1. am one of your avid readers, know more about you now that I did when you were in Ireland!!!
    what a wonderful experience you are having; if you need any tips on outpatient departments, I' m your woman.
    very proud to see that there have been no grammatical errors in your posts! (So far of course)

    ReplyDelete