Friday, June 11, 2010

All good things come to an end...


And that was certainly true this week.....

1. My placement : last Saturday (5th June) was my last day working at RSUD dr. TC HILLERS, Maumere.As one reader pointed out to me in an email last week, I haven't said much about the work part of my placement on here. That's true, for a number of reasons : firstly, I'm not sure how much of it would be of any interest to anyone; secondly, much of the time there wasn't a lot to write about and thirdly, you never know who's reading these things ! However, the wrap up process got under way a couple of weeks ago with a formal meeting between VSO, the hospital and me so there were few formalities left to complete, just the usual rush of completing half done tasks, copying things on to a CD (no fancy shared drives here) and leaving a list of things that needed to be followed up.

2. My camera : my little camera, which has given sterling service while I've been here decided to stop recognising the memory card as a group of us posed for the very last photo before I left the house for the airport on Tuessday. Timing, eh ? The problem is that the same memory card still contains lots of photos which I haven't yet copied to my laptop so I'm hoping that it can be salvaged. So this post will be photoless I'm afraid.

3. My run of good health : my leg injury (remember my leg ?) suddenly flared up again last Sunday and it transpired that, despite looking good on the surface, an infection had been lurking beneath. This has necessitated daily hospital visits this week, with the insertion of a drain for a few days and now (in Bali) daily dressing changes). Fortunately the surgeon I have been seeing in Bali is happy for me to fly which is a relief but I may need some further treatment on arrival in London tomorrow (Saturday). At least the pain I experienced last Sunday has subsided and I can walk now...
4. My time in Maumere : I can honestly say that I never thought it would be so hard to leave and say goodbye and it's not until the last couple of days that you realise the attachments that you have developed to the people, the place and the way of life. I'm sure that it's going to be equally hard to settle back in at home.

Anyway, that's enough misery - I'm now in Bali on a sunny Friday afternoon,. having completed my exit interview with VSO, sorted out my finances with the finance manager, (almost) finished packing, and am almost ready to head to the hospital in an hour or so. From there it's straight to the airport for a departure at 10.30 pm or thereabouts.

I'll be in touch !       
     

9 comments:

  1. Great stuff again Mark. Sorry to hear about the leg. I had a problem with my memory card recently and had it put on CD in a photoshop no problem - not sure if it's the same problem as I think mine was a camera problem. Good luck. In case you're interested (probably not now!) our blog is: http://sonowitscambodia.blogspot.com/

    You're right to be careful - we had a reminder about data protection from VSO recently which had a list of Cambodia blogs which included our blog amongst others - so I think someone's checking them somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have limited medical knowledge but looking at the photo it would appear to be a combination of Gout and Leprosy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAVE A GOOD TRIP HOME-YOU ARE A REAL ''GOOD ONE''and have given so much to those marginalised in our global society
    enjoy the luxuries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, Thank you for giving us a glimpse of life in Maumere. It interesting and you also made it very entertaining. Look forward to seeing you back in Bray. Have a safe trip.

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ surfelix : I bow to your superior (based on personal experience) knowledge of both conditions...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark,

    I've *really* enjoyed your adventure and look forward to catching up soon!
    When are you in London?

    Cheers,

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe your journey is at an end Mark. It seems like only yesterday we were laughing over beers at the Bonsai Cafe. Best of luck on your travels home; hope your leg heals properly, and see you soon....?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mark, congrats on finishing yr placement, wd love to hear how it really panned out in the end? Don't forget to update us SQWIDders :) I love my placement so much Im not even contemplating going home ... yet. Best of luck back in Bray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Mark, I have been following your blog and really enjoyed reading it. I work in VSO, and always interested to read about our volulnteers. I hope you enjoyed your experience.

    Best wishes, Sonya

    ReplyDelete