Wednesday, September 30, 2009

PORDAFTA 2009



You can't beat a good acronym – and I've mentioned before how much Indonesians like using them. PORDAFTA (Pekan Olah Raga se-DAratan Flores & LembaTA or sports week for the region of Flores & Lembata) is on this week in Maumere and has brought an influx of between 2000 and 3000 visitors from all over the island and the neighbouring island of Lembata (where I still haven't got to..)



Yesterday afternoon I watched a Takro match. This is played on a volleyball court with a lower net but with only two players on each side. The main difference from volleyball is that you can only use feet or heads – no hands ! This makes for some spectacular bicycle kicks, which I hope you'll be able to see if my first attempt at uploading a video clip is successful (there have been two power cuts already this morning while I'm trying to do this !)







Lastly,some more great diving displays were going on in the harbour yesterday afternoon.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was spectacular. Perhaps 22nd Dublin Boys' Brigade could take up takro and tour Maurmere.

    ReplyDelete