Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pics at last !

Our first few days were spent in a simple hotel in the Sanur area of Denpasar - a traditional Balinese style house with an unprepossessing street presence (looked like a garage entrance) which then open up into a large area with lots of greenery, separate buildings, shady covered areas (when it rains here in the rainy season it really rains and when the suns shines it's really hot). This picture (above) is looking from our room along the passageway past the entrance to a few separate bedrooms which are to the right.
Indonesia is a predominately Muslim country, however Bali is mainly Hindu and the province of Nusa Tenggara Timur or NTT, where Flores is, is 95% Christian. Every Balinese home has a number of temples which symbolise the three way relationship that us mere mortals have with the gods, with our surroundings and with the earth. These temples are small, but very ornate, constructions of wood and stone and offerings are placed in front of them every day, usually with some incense. This is a small temple that was right outside our bedroom door at our first stay in Sanur.On Friday night, we moved into our family homestay (at least everyone else did, I am in a temporary house owned by my homestay owner until some other people move out of my room today, Saturday). My homestay is on Jalan Intaran (jalan = street) in the Sanur region, slightly east of the VSO office and Denpasar city centre. My host got things off to a good start by hiding all my luggage in a wardrobe and pretending that it hadn't been delivered - he knew about my baggage problems earlier this week and is a bit of a practical joker. This morning (Saturday) I am just wandering around trying to get my bearings and have already found a local internet shop, from where I am posting this.

This is the junction at the top of Jalan Intaran, at a very quiet time on Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment